Scripture: 1 Samuel 15:1-35
- God’s Mission to Saul (vv.1-3)
“Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have …” (v.3a)
- Three Reasons Why We Do Not Give God Our Total Obedience
We Do Not Give God Total Obedience Because:
- We Seek Recognition Quickly (vv.12-19, 30)
“Saul … set up a monument for himself … I have sinned; yet honour me now before the elders of my people and before Israel …” (vv.12, 30)
- We Treat God’s Word Lightly (vv.20-23)
“Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice … Because you have rejected the word of the LORD …” (vv.22, 23)
- We Fear People Easily (vv.24-35)
“I have sinned … because I feared the people and obeyed their voice.” (v.24)
We obey fully because we love God (Jn 14:21).
Reflection Questions (for CGs and families)
- How has our culture threatened to undermine our total obedience to God’s Word?
- Think about the last time you exercised complete obedience to God. What did that choice reveal about your faith in God?